By William Booth, Sunday, April 6, 10:03 AM Washington Post
JERUSALEM — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu broke his silence on the collapsing peace talks Sunday by blaming Palestinian leaders for the current crisis and threatening retaliatory steps to punish the Palestinians.
In remarks at his weekly cabinet meeting, Netanyahu said that just as the parties were nearing an agreement last week to extend the U.S.-brokered negotiations through the end of 2014, the Palestinian leaders announced their decision to sign on to 15 treaties and conventions under the auspices of the United Nations.
“The Palestinians’ threats to appeal to the U.N. will not affect us. The Palestinians have much to lose by this unilateral move,” Netanyahu said. “These will only push a peace agreement farther away, and unilateral steps on their part will be met with unilateral steps on our part.”
Israel’s retaliatory measures could include withholding transfers of millions of dollars in taxes and fees that Israel collects on behalf of the Palestinian Authority.
The Palestinians say that it is Israel that has pushed the talks toward collapse.
To restart the peace process, Netanyahu promised in July to release 104 long-serving Palestinians prisoners, many convicted of murdering Israelis, and in return the Palestinians agreed not to seek greater recognition as a state from the United Nations.
The Israelis released three groups, a total of 78 prisoners, but balked last week at freeing the last batch of 26 inmates. CLICK TO KEEP READING
No comments:
Post a Comment